An introduction to root canal treatment and our endodontist in Dubai
Each tooth consists of an outer enamel layer, intermediate hard dentin, and an inner soft pulp. The term “root canal” refers to the cavity inside the tooth which holds the pulp and nerve. Root canal treatment is required when the pulp of the tooth becomes inflamed or infected.
Causes of an infected/inflamed pulp include:
- Deep tooth decay
- Repeated dental procedures on the tooth
- A fractured or cracked tooth
- Trauma to the tooth
What are the signs and symptoms of a root canal treatment?
If you start to experience any of the below symptoms, do visit a dentist and have your teeth checked out immediately:
- Severe pain when any amount of pressure is applied to the teeth.
- Tooth appears dark or extremely discolored
- Presence of pus or a pimple on the gums
- Swollen or tender gums
- Increased sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drinks
Why is Endodontic treatment necessary?
When bacteria get into the pulp, it breaks it down and the result is an infection or abscess at the root level. Infection at the root level can cause either of the following situations:
- As the infection spreads and grows deep into the teeth and gums, pain and discomfort will intensify.
- Bone loss in the area of the root tip
- Spread of pain to other parts of the body like the neck, face and head
What is the procedure for Root Canal Treatment?
- Root canal therapy involves removal of the infected pulp tissue, disinfection and cleaning of the pulp chamber, followed by filling and sealing of the chamber with a biocompatible material called gutta-percha.
- Following root canal treatment, the tooth is then restored with a tooth-colored filling or a permanent crown.
How many visits would a Root Canal in Dubai require?
Root canal treatment may require one or more visits.
- An uncomplicated root canal treatment can be completed by a specialist in root canal therapy in one visit.
- However, in cases where the entire pulp chamber is infected and patient experiences pain, swelling or tenderness at the time of the appointment, the dentist may then choose a multi-appointment approach.
What are the possible side effects of a Root Canal Treatment?
Following root canal treatment, the tooth gets non-vital and therefore tends to become brittle, which is why it is important to complete the restoration with a dental crown to protect the tooth. It is normal to experience some post-op pain for a few days following endodontic treatment and over the counter pain medications would help alleviate this discomfort.
Endodontists in Dubai
Dr. Mona Yadav
- Dr. Mona Yadav, our Endodontist in Dubai, obtained her Masters in Endodontics from Army College of Dental Sciences, India and was awarded the best Post-Graduate Resident for the Endodontics program. Dr. Mona completed her Bachelors in Dental Surgery (Gold Medalist) from Government Dental College & Research Institute, Bangalore.
- Dr. Mona provides the full range of root canal treatments and her expertise lies in resolving difficult root canal cases and re-treatment endodontics.
- Dr. Mona’s philosophy is to perform root canal treatments comfortably, using minimally invasive techniques.
- Dr. Maisour Rachi is our Specialist Endodontist in Dubai (Root Canal Specialist) with over 23 years of clinical experience.
- Prof. Dr. Maisour has completed his PhD in Endodontics and was the Director for Endodontic courses conducted in Lebanon, KSA and UAE.
Dr. Anupama Jaswal
- Dr. Anupama Jaswal, our family dentist, has over 21 years of extensive clinical experience in restorative dentistry with special interest in endodontics (root canal treatments).
FAQs for Endodontist in Dubai
1. What does an endodontist do?
An endodontist is a dentist who specializes in diagnosing and treating tooth pain and performing root canal treatments.
2. Will endodontic treatment hurt?
Root canal treatments are provided in the first place to relieve the pain caused by pulpal infection and inflammation. With modern dentistry and anesthetics, most patients report to be comfortable during the procedure. The tooth may feel sensitive for the initial few days post treatment which can be effectively managed with over the counter medications. Our main goal is to ensure that your root canal treatment is a pleasant and comfortable experience.
3. Why do I need endodontic re-treatment?
An endodontic retreatment may be required due to the following reasons:
- Presence of curved and narrow canals that were not accessed during the initial root canal procedure.
- Fracture of the treated tooth.
- Delayed placement of crown following root canal procedure.
4. What to expect after endodontic treatment?
The root canal treated tooth will be numb for a little while following the procedure. Before the anesthesia wears off, we generally advise the patient to have an over the counter medication such as ibuprofen. It is also recommended not to chew hard foods on the tooth until it has received a permanent restoration.
5. How much will the endodontic treatment cost?
We welcome you to call us on 04 3987075 to discuss treatment costs or information on our interest-free 12 months payment plans.
0% financing for Root Canal Treatments In Dubai
We offer 0% interest-free payment plan for 6 / 12 months for holders of the following credit card:
We encourage you to call us on 04 3987075 if you require any further information.